The Lagos State Police Command has issued a statement clarifying the events that took place at Mohbad’s candlelight procession and tribute concert on September 21, 2023.
The statement, signed by the Lagos State Police Public Relations Officer, SP Benjamin Hundeyin, stated that the police command had an agreement with the organizers of the procession that it would end at 8pm at Muri Okunola Park. However, after the procession ended, some people started gathering at the Lekki Toll Gate, which had been designated as a no-go area.
The police and organizers tried to persuade the people at the toll gate to disperse peacefully, but they refused. The police then resorted to using teargas to disperse the crowd. The statement said that no live ammunition was fired and that no one was injured.
The statement also warned mischief makers that they would be arrested and prosecuted if they disturb the peace of the state. The police also appreciated the procession organizers for keeping faith with the command and assured all supporters of justice for Mohbad and Lagosians at large that it would continue to prioritize their safety and security at all times.
The statement also said that the ongoing investigation into the circumstances leading to the death of Mr Ilerioluwa Aloba is progressing well and that the police are working closely with the support groups of justice for Mohbad.