Women in Film: Top 10 Nollywood Producers
Women are making significant contributions in the Nollywood industry, as they have been able to produce blockbuster movies in recent times. Here are our top 10 Nollywood producers:
- Genevieve Nnaji: She is one of the founding actress in Nollywood and she has been able to produce award-winning movies like Road to Yesterday and her recent movie, Lionheart which remains the first Netflix original movie from Nigeria.
- Omoni Oboli: She also started her movie career in the late 90s and she was the one who produced the 2016 record-breaking movie, Wives on Strike.
- Funke Akindele: Even though Funke Akindele has been acting in Yoruba film industry for a long time, her big break came when she played a major role in the movie, Jenifa. Funke Akindele is known for the popular ‘Jenifa’s Diary’ and a recent movie directed by her is the 2019 political drama movie ‘Your Excellency’.
- Kemi Adetiba: Kemi Adetiba is a talented filmmaker, known to have produced several exciting television drama such as ‘The Wedding Party,’ ‘King of Boys’, amidst others.
- Stephanie Okereke Linus is another talented actress who has produced award-winning movies such as ‘Through the Glass’ and ‘Dry’.
- Mercy Johnson Okojie: Mercy sure made a lot of childhood with her roles in several comedy drama. She has won several awards due to the major roles she played in ‘Dumebi the Dirty Girl’ and others. She made her debut as film producer with ‘The Legend of Inikpi’.
- Jadesola Osiberu: The talented actress has produced and written blockbuster movies such as ‘Isoken,” ‘Gidi Up,’ and the recent comedy drama ‘Sugar Rush.’
- Toyin Abraham: The talented actress has made a name in the Yoruba movie industry and also in the contemporary Nollywood industry. Her acting skills are exceptional and she has produced really exciting movies such as ‘Alakada Reloaded’, ‘Seven and a Half Dates’, amidst others.
- Emem Isong: She is a Nigerian screenwriter and producer who has been producing movies since the late 90s. She produced her first movie, ‘Breaking Point’ in 1996 and since then, she has produced exceptional movies such as ‘Reloaded,’ ‘Champagne’, amidst others.
- Mo Abudu: Mo Abudu is the founder of the EbonyLifeTV, a movie-producing organisation that has produced several movies such as ‘Fifty,’ ‘The Royal Hibiscus Hotel’, ‘Chief Daddy’, amidst others.