A female hostel at the University of Nigeria, Nsukka ‘Okeke Hostel’ was gutted by fire yesterday, December 23. The fire reportedly emerges from one of its rooms.
Reports has it that, the fire started after a loud cylinder explosion sounded in one of the rooms, and then it affected about 33 other rooms while the few helpless students who were still in school looked on as the fire did the damages.
Although men of the fire service department came with their trucks, they couldn’t stop the outbreak because the trucks were reportedly empty.
As at the time of this report, there was no casualties recorded because most of the students were off campus as they had returned home for the festive break. But many properties were damaged leaving the building dilapidated.
See photos from the scene below;