Top 5 Inspiring Stories From @HumansOfNy This Week
This week’s focus is on the people living in Iraq and Jordan.
Check out inspiring stories published this week.
- “We were engaged for six months, but her parents made her marry a richer man.”
“What’s the last thing you said to her?”
“I told her: ‘I’ve done all that I can do. I wish you happiness in your life.'”
- “I’m living a good life. I’m a business owner. A lot of hotels say, ‘Come shine shoes for us. We will pay you better.’ I tell them: ‘Why would I do that? I am free.’” (Shaqlawa, Iraq)
- “When I got accepted into the Master’s program at the University of Damascus, it felt like the whole world was in my hands. For the last three weeks before the exam, I studied for 20 hours every day. My eyes got so tired and swollen that I could not see the letters anymore. So when I heard that I passed, I felt that nothing was impossible. All my friends and family were surrounding me and kissing me.”
“How did you celebrate?”
“Well, we were poor. So I bought a Pepsi to share with my friends.”
- “We live in a very conservative culture, but I want my children to be open minded. I try to bring them to as many places as possible: big malls, art galleries, concerts. We want them to see as many types of people as possible, and as many types of ideas as possible.” (Erbil, Iraq)
- “I worry about the day they start to want things that I can’t afford.” (Shaqlawa, Iraq)
Text and Photo credit: Humans of NY ( Facebook page )