4 teenage girls, Duro-Aina Adebola (14), Akindele Abiola (14), Faleke Oluwatoyin (14) and Bello Eniola (15) have stunned the country with their invention of a urine powered generator at this year’s Maker Faire Africa, an event which shows off innovations, inventions, and initiatives that solve immediate challenges and problems and work to support them.
The teenagers’ invention was one of the most remarkable exhibitions at the fair which took place from Monday 5th November and Tuesday 6th November in Lagos.
Four Nigerian Teenage Girls Develop a Urine-Powered Generator;
- Urine is put into an electrolytic cell, which cracks the urea into nitrogen, water, and hydrogen.
- The hydrogen goes into a water filter for purification, which then gets pushed into the gas cylinder.
- The gas cylinder pushes hydrogen into a cylinder of liquid borax, which is used to remove the moisture from the hydrogen gas.
- This purified hydrogen gas is pushed into the generator.
- 1 Liter of urine gives you 6 hours of electricity