Borno State Governor, Professor Babagana Umara Zulum, has announced emergency relief of one billion naira to assist victims affected by a major fire outbreak that destroyed much of the Maiduguri Monday Market.
The announcement was made in a quick statewide broadcast after the governor visited the scene of the incident and mobilized armed forces to secure the area to prevent any potential breakdown of law and order.
In his address to the people of Borno State in both the Kanuri and Hausa languages, Governor Zulum expressed deep sorrow and empathy for the victims, acknowledging the devastating impact of losing years of hard work and investment in a matter of seconds.
He urged the affected individuals to remain calm and patient, assuring them that the state government was taking immediate steps to provide urgent support to the victims, pending a full assessment of the situation.
- I have approved the release of one billion naira as emergency relief for us to quickly support victims of the disaster because we know that some of them may even have difficulty of surviving the next few days. Many rely on daily businesses in order to cater for themselves.
- We are setting up an assessment committee that will comprise respectable individuals from our society including representatives of the victims, for us to speedily assess damages, and take comprehensive list of those affected and their loses. I will also be holding meeting with leadership of the market and representatives of victims.
- I am going to see Mr President and seek for presidential intervention on how to get support for victims.
- We will also reach out to other humanitarian establishments to seek help.
- Insha’Allah, we will be taking firm measures towards preventing reoccurrence of this fire disaster that has occurred in previous years.
I will like to respectfully appeal to everyone for calmness. I know how you feel. I feel your pain and we will support you through whatever means we can, insha’Allah.
In the meantime, I urge us not to politicize this unfortunate incident. I recognize that the incident is happening at a political time, but we all know the Monday market has unfortunately faced fire disaster in previous times and this is sad. We have to find ways of ensuring this unfortunate fire disaster does not happen again and we will work together to ensure this, bi iznillah”