2022 has been an interesting year for the music industry. The Nigerian music industry has undergone lots of changes and processes and is fast moving from being an industry of older entertainers to one dominated by young music stars who have pushed the industry further into International levels.
In no particular order, here are 10 Nigerian music stars who have made waves in 2022.
- Davido: The star focused more on collaborations this year and still dominated with them. He featured in collaborations with Pheelz, Young Jonn, CKay, DaBaby, Focalistic, and more. He released the Gospel-inspired song “Stand Strong ” with the Sunday Service Choir. His performance at the World Cup closing ceremony alongside Trinidad Cardona and Aisha was a major win for the star this year.
- Ayra Star: It’s safe to say all those who have kept eyes on her after joining Mavin record in 2021, would have been delighted with what they’ve seen so far. Starr has kept her light shining all through 2022 with major hit `Rush` and collaborations. The star held down her spot as one of the fastest growing Nigerian musical talents making waves.
- Asake: Asake is one of the revelations of the Nigerian music industry this year. The YBNL star Asake has made so many waves in 2022, dominating the music industry with “back-to-back hits,” So far this year, only few artists can boast of enjoying the same level of acclaim, notoriety, and success as the YBNL singer. He has earned himself a fine reputation as a hit maker. His album ‘Mr. Money with the Vibe’ broke an unimaginable record in history.
- Kizz Daniel: It’s safe to say Kizz Daniel has been a blessing to the Nigerian music industry this year. Early in the year he released ‘Buga’ with Tekno & since its release, ‘Buga’ has broken several records. Right after, Cough (Odo) arrives on the heels of the smashing hit Bugawhich recorded a total of 300 million streams. The addictive rhythm will leave every listener humming and moving to the beat. No doubt, Kizz Daniel has had a great reputation for dishing spicy viral hits since he entered the music scene.
- Victony: No one can say the impact of Victony’s dominance wasn’t felt this year. The Nigerian star started the year as a featured act in Mayorkun’s hit song “Holy Father,” which he had so much to do with. The success of the song was major.
Next, he dropped the jam-filled “Outlaw EP.” The project housed seven tracks and featured contributions from KTIZO and Tempoe. It produced the hits “Apollo,” “Kolomental,” and “Jolene.” When we least expected it, “Soweto” went viral on social media.
- Tems: Tems has introduced herself to the world and refused to step away. We knew Tems for her hits “Mr. Rebel,” “Try Me,” and the “For Broken Ears” EP. However, the world was introduced to Tems after the success of “Essence,” her collaboration with Wizkid.
The singer had even more success bagging collaborations with Drake, Future, Beyoncé, and working with Rihanna on the “Black Panther: Wakanda Forever ” soundtrack album. Her other EP, “If Orange Was A Place,” was successful.
- Burna Boy: The ‘Odogwu’ does not call himself African giant for nothing. His album `Love Damini` took the Nigerian music industry to a whole new level. The album consists of songs like Last Last, It’s Plenty, Cloak and Dagger, Common Person, For My Hand ft. Ed Sheeran. The masterpiece did get music lovers singing and dancing to every lyric of the tracks in the album.
- Rema: Rema whose track ‘Calm Down’ played at one of the stadia’s at the 2022 FIFA World Cup, is an evidence of how big a year 2022 is for the music star. Rema continues to prove that his emergence into the Nigerian music industry is no fluke, and that he is here to hold his own for a long time with his musical talent. His album, Rave and Roses, has amazing songs such as Calm Down, Dirty, Hold Me, Time and Affection and others. We can’t get enough of Rema.
- Oxlade: Singer and songwriter Oxlade shocked the world when he tore through charts and social media with the song “Ku Lo Sa.” It became a massive success and bagged over 100 million streams on Spotify alone. Oxlade also appeared as a contributor on British rapper Stormzy’s 2022 album “This Is What I Mean,” contributing vocals to the song “Hide & Seek.”
- Wizkid: After “Made in Lagos”– which did not leave Billboard and charts till forever and on Twitter, it is undeniable that Wizkid has established himself as a legend. Wizkid also never ended the year without serving his teeming fans epic tracks that highlight his musical prowess.
In conclusion, Nigerian music has leveled up in terms of respect all over the world. Our artists have gained the attention and praise of fans worldwide. We are proud of their talents and achievements.