Drake is a Toronto-born rap star known for hit songs like Take Care, One Dance and Hotline Bling. He launched his music career in 2006 with the release of his mixtape “Room for Improvement”. 3 years later, his third mixtape earned him critical and commercial success, and the following year, he released his first album. After signing a deal with Lil Wayne’s label Young Money Entertainment, his career took off, and he’s now one of the biggest rappers on the planet. Here are some interesting facts about Drake –
- Drake’s father Dennis Graham was a drummer for rock’n’ roll star Jerry Lee Lewis. His uncle played bass for Sly and the Family Stone, and his mother Sandi also comes from a musical family.
- Drake’s high school experience was one of isolation and feeling different. His high school was virtually all-white, and he’s said that “nobody understood what it was like to be black and Jewish.”. He also noted that being different from everyone else made him a lot stronger.
- Drake dropped out of school to pursue his acting career and only graduated high school in 2012.
- During the “America’s Most Wanted” tour in July 2009, Drake took a tumble on stage and required surgery for a torn anterior cruciate ligament (ACL). Thats knee for the less medically inclined.
- The Song “Views from the 6” from the album “Views” was about his on again/off again relationship with Rhianna.
- In October 2016, Drake broke a record for the most American Music Award Nominations. His 13 nominations broke the record 11 held by Michael Jackson since 1984. Since his first nomination in 2010, he has earned a total of 21 nominations.
- Since his entry onto the Billboard Hot 100 chart in 2009, Drake has never been off the chart. He has had at least one track on the weekly chart for 420 weeks and counting. On the June 6, 2017 list, he had three entries.
- In 2016, Drake was the world’s most popular recording artist. He had the year’s bestselling single with “One Dance” and Views was the world’s third best-selling album.