DStv Emerges as Preferred Movie Platform by Nigerians During the COVID-19 Lockdown

MultiChoice Nigeria’s DStv and GOtv platforms have emerged as Nigerians’ preferred Movie platforms during the COVID-19 Lockdown (March-May 2020). According to the report published by Nigerian Entertainment Today (Netng), 44% of respondents say that they had been watching movies on DStv, while another 17% of respondents say that GOtv has been their preferred movie platform. This makes a total of 61% for the MultiChoice Nigeria platforms.

The data provided from the report was drawn from the native insight tools on social media platforms like Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter with 3 million social media users drawn from Netng, Newsroom, Orin and 234Star. Additionally, the Info Digital Africa research team (owners of Netng) surveyed 200 young Nigerians within the states that experienced the lockdown, Lagos, Ogun and Abuja, to find out how the lockdown affected their activities and interests on social media. 

With the ban on public gatherings and the stay at home restrictions, people had to find new ways to keep themselves entertained and escape the tedium of observing the lockdown. This report has further reconfirmed the acceptance of DStv and GOtv amongst Nigerians homes.

With the announcement of the 5th edition of Big Brother Naija (BBNaija),  the ‘most popular event’ according to Nigerian Entertainment Today (Netng) Honors Class of 2020 (second consecutive win in this category), the recent launch of Africa Magic new shows: Mercy & Ike and Judging Matters on the DStv & GOtv platforms, and the phasing out of the old packages, MultiChoice aims to unlock a new level of programming specially customized for Nigerians,  with great entertainment and value for customers, giving them improved choices and a brand new, more-value-for-money experience all year round.

Click here to access the full report.

Leave a Comment