Police Arrest Man Suspected Of Carrying Out Utrecht Tram Shooting
Dutch Police have arrested a man wanted over the Utrecht tram shooting.
Police said the 37 year-old Turkish-born suspect, Gökmen Tanis, had been taken into custody after an hours-long manhunt.
He is suspected of killing three people and injuring another five on a tram in Dutch city of Utrecht on Monday.
One of the victims is suspected to be one of his relatives.
Dutch authorities also say he has a criminal record.
“Yes, the suspect was known within the justice department. He had a criminal record. That is indeed what we know. I can give no more details”, a police spokesperson said.
There are also reports that the suspect was charged with raping a woman in 2017, and also attempted manslaughter and petty crimes.
Prime Minister, Mark Rutte said some of the wounded “are still in a critical condition”.
“Three people are dead, three people are fighting for their lives,” he said.
“There was an attack today in the Netherlands – if it had terror motives, that is being investigated. But it was very serious. The world shares our grief.”