BREAKING: Court Of Appeal Rejects Onnoghen’s Request To Stop Trial At CCT
The Court of Appeal on Wednesday dismissed the request brought to it by Chief Justice of thr Federation, Justice Onnoghen for a stay od proceeding in his trial at the Code of Conduct Tribunal.
The court said the request lacked proper backing or precedent and was thus dismissed.
The Court said there was not enough evidence to give it the jurisdiction to grant such request. It also said the charges brought against the CJN was criminal in nature and can not be stopped.
Mr Aboki who read the ruling with two other judges said: “A court has inherent jurisdiction to grant stay of proceedings where it is certified that enough evidence has been given for such,”
“Order for stay cannot be made in vacuum. It is a matter of law and fact,” He added.
The ruling says the CCT can now proceed with the trial of the Chief Justice for alleged falkse declaration of asset brought before it.
The CCT had postponed the trial based on last week’s directive of the appeal court.