News

23 Soldiers Missing after Boko Haram attacks

At least 23 Nigerian soldiers are yet to be accounted for after Boko Haram insurgents ambushed a military convoy at Boboshe village in Bama local government area of Borno. They include Five officers, 18 soldiers and 8 trucks were missing after the attack which occurred early on Saturday.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) are also reporting that the military had mobilised troops to clear the insurgents from the village, and the ones that escaped were also the ones that stagged the offensive against the military.

According to NAN sources, the insurgents ambushed the the soldiers.

The source disclosed that only three of the 11 trucks deployed to the area returned to their base in Maiduguri, after the ambush by the insurgemts.

He said: “There was a quick response by the army when they received reports that hundreds of the insurgents gathered at Boboshe on Maiduguri-Konduga-Bama road.

“The gallant soldiers were ambushed by the insurgents, only three of the 11 trucks returned to the base.

“It is not clear what happened but it was assumed the soldiers were missing following the ambush,” he added.

Residents of the community in Gubio local government council of Borno, have fled the town after the attacks by Boko Haram.

 

One of the residents, Malam Bukar Mustapha, speaking to NAN said,

“In the afternoon on Saturday, we heard that the insurgents gathered in the nearby bush preparing for the attack.

“I am one of those who ran to Maiduguri, which is about 45 kilometres from my village.

“On Sunday morning, I called Gubio and I was told that the insurgents had attacked the town during the night time. I do not have the casualties because the situation is still not clear at Jilli,” Mustapha said.Another resident who pleaded anonymity said troops had been deployed to the area.

Leave a Comment