Woman stages own kidnap to scare husband into relocating her to U.S

A 37-year old woman named Bukola Ogun has been arrested by the Oyo State Police Command for staging her kidnap so as to scare her husband into relocating she and their children to the U.S.

According to Punch report, Bukola had conspired with her cousin and two others to organise the fake kidnap.

According to the state’s Police Commissioner Abiodun Odude,

The Special Anti-Robbery Squad of the command arrested a business woman who conspired with a three-man gang to orchestrate her own kidnap in order to fraudulently obtain money from her husband, Kayode Ogun, who lives with her in Ibadan.

The incident happened on July 4, 2017 at around 7.45pm when three armed hoodlums stormed the residence of the supposed victim and kidnapped her. Barely four hours later, the suspects contacted the husband and demanded a N10m for her release.

The husband, who did not know that it was all arranged by his wife, contacted the police and a manhunt was launched for the hoodlums. Two male suspects were later arrested.

Speaking on the kidnap, Bukola’s cousin Kayode Adepoju said: “She called me and said she wanted to stage her kidnap. She said she wanted to scare her husband with it so that he would see reason why it was necessary for him to take her abroad. We did not collect any money from the husband and we did not use any weapon in the operation. I was arrested a day after we kidnapped her.”

Bukola, who said the plan started like a joke, added that her husband, who is both a Nigerian and American citizen, had begun the process of relocating them to the US, but she felt it was taking too long.

“I just woke up one day and thought of a way to make my husband see reason why he should use his American citizen status to take me out of the country. It all started like a child’s play. I told my supposed abductors to tell my husband that the ransom was N10m although I knew he would not be able to pay such money. He is just a salary earner. I lodged myself in a hotel and I was there for two days. I went back home on the third day and no ransom was paid,” she said.

The couple have been married for six years and have two children together.

Leave a Comment