King Women Series with TY Bello – ‘I felt like there was something ugly about me’
Toyin Bello popularly called ‘TY’, is a musician who has topped charts, she is a photographer who has captured iconic images, but she has also been a hair dresser who picked up money from the floor.
TY Bello who shared her story and the trauma it caused on King women. See the highlights below;
- I started my hair salon while I was in school.
- I was sexually abused as a child and because of this, I felt like there was something ugly about me that made me encounter this. This was not the abuser’s fault, this was me.
- I used to see other girls as flowers and I saw myself as dirty cement, hard and ugly. I never felt beautiful, everything was wrong with me, I was hairy and it was a problem.
- I always attributed everything that was about me to be the reason someone took advantage of me. I thought there was something wrong with me because if the others girls were like me perhaps they would be dirty like me but they were flowers.
- When a friend told me about salvation, she told me old things would be passed away and all things will become new. It was as if God could wash away that stench and I would become a girl because I didn’t feel like a girl.
- I was shocked when I grew up and found that one out every three or four girls in my secondary school had suffered the same thing and I could tell them the same thing… that old thing can pass away.
- It was a relief to find that I was not the only one and a shock that nobody talks about it. That’s why salvation worked, I had a daddy and I was going to be a flower.”
Watch the full video below;