Former Man United Star, Dwight Yorke Denied Entry Into US
Former Manchester United striker, Dwight Yorke, has said he was “made to feel like a criminal”, after he was denied entry into the United States on Friday.
Yorke claims he was stopped because his visa had an Iranian stamp on his passport, which he got after playing for the “World Stars” in a charity match against “Iranian Stars” in Tehran in 2015.
The 45-year-old was preveneted from boarding his flight to Miami from Qatar by two airport officials.
“I couldn’t quite believe what was happening” Yorke told the Sun.
“I have lost count of the number of times I have been to America, I love the country, yet I was being made to feel like a criminal.
“I had bought my ticket and checked in and was about to get on the flight when I was stopped by two officials. I thought ‘what is happening here?’
“They told me there was a visa problem and a red flag had come up against my name because of an Iranian stamp in my passport. I went there to play in a legends match to open a stadium and didn’t even stay overnight.
“The two officials told me if I got on the flight I would simply be deported back to Qatar once I arrived in the States. I tried to explain I didn’t even live in Qatar and was just trying to get to my home in the Caribbean.”
Last month US President Donald Trump signed an executive order temporarily barring citizens from Iraq, Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen entering the country. Although the order was later overturned in federal court.