Video Nigerian soldiers dying of hunger in battle field
Nigerian soldiers starved for 3 days now after defeating Boko Haram insurgents in Alagarno, northeast of Nigeria are in desperate need for help as the soldiers have now fallen sick, with many highly dehydrated and starving due to negligence by the army officials.
A call for help was sent by the dying officers who recorded their colleagues in dire situation asking President Muhammadu Buhari to come to their aid.
Commenting on the tragedy and the failure of the Buhari-led government to accept responsibility over reports of negligence being suffered by the soldiers fighting Boko Haram, Associate Professor of Journalism and Emerging Media at Kennesaw State University, Farooq Kperogi said: “This is tragic. I shed tears watching this video. This government perpetually lies about ‘ technically defeating’ or ‘degrading’ Boko Haram. Yet the people on the front lines in the battle against Boko Haram are starving and dying.
“I spoke with a soldier in Maiduguri weeks ago and learned that they hadn’t been paid salaries for 4 months! A Borno State government official confirmed this to me. He said soldiers had been reduced to beggars and that he personally gave out money to starving soldiers. I am told the soldiers’ salary arrears have now been settled, but they are without food or water now. What has changed? What’s going on in Buhari’s Nigeria? Please share this until everyone sees it.”
Mallam Umar who shared the video on social media said: “We’re calling the Attention of President MUHAMMADU BUHARI, C.D.S, C.A.S BURATAI, C.A.S, N.S.A and Co. as a matter of urgency to see how our gallant solders are so devastated in Alagarno; no food, no water over 3days please….
“God bless our Nigerian soldiers, God bless Nigeria…..”
However, Army spokesman, Col Sani Usman in a statement issued Tuesday night said that the video was shot over 6 months ago.
He said: “We wish to state that the video clip was shot more than six months ago by some mischievous and disgruntled elements when 29 Task Force Brigade captured Alagarno Forest and environs in Borno State.
“It is disheartening that some mischievous elements have decided to circulate it now, creating the false impression that it is a recent occurrence.
“We wish to state further that the matter was conclusively investigated at the time, several months ago. The Board of Inquiry actually showed that, as of the time of the incident, the unit’s water tanker still contained water, but a soldier mischievously concealed it. That soldier was charged and punished accordingly.
“In addition to the unit’s water tanker, a borehole was subsequently drilled at the location and it is still serving both the military and adjoining communities.
“We wish to restate with utmost concern the continued commitment of the Nigerian Army to the total welfare of all its personnel.”
But many have insisted that the statement does not deny the fact that Nigerian soldiers fighting in the northeast are being neglected and undergoing very harsh conditions forced on them by government and military officials.
Nigerians have insisted that investigation be carried out how and why the soldiers were left in such a painful condition and all those culpable be punished.
Watch video below: