All is now set for the 2015 Glo-CAF Awards scheduled to hold this evening at the International Conference Centre, Abuja.
To set you in the mood, here are 10 things you need to know about the the Oscars of African Football.
1) Globacom has been sponsoring the CAF Awards since 2005.
2) Among the dignitaries who will attend the event is the Acting President of FIFA and CAF President, Alhaji Issa Hayatou who will lead a delegation of FIFA and CAF executives to the awards gala.
3) The awards are the most prestigious in Africa conferred on outstanding players, coaches, supporters and administrators by CAF.
4) Juliet Ibrahim, a Ghanaian actress, film producer, singer and model of Lebanese, Liberian and Ghanaian descent and SuperSport of South Africa presenter, Robert Marawa are the official comperes of the 2015 Glo-CAF Awards.
5) Robert Marawa is anchoring the Glo-CAF Awards for the third time having co-hosted the 2011 edition in Accra with Ghanaian International, Tony Bafoe and the 2014 edition in Lagos.
6) Nine years ago, Juliet Ibrahim was just an usher at the 2007 Glo-CAF awards that held in Ghana; five years later, a guest in the 2012 and 2014 editions. Tonight, she co-host the event.
7) AIT, Supersports, Canal 2 and Sport 5 to broadcast the awards live from the International Conference Centre in Abuja.
8) Over 100 pressmen from across the globe are covering the 2015 GLO-CAF Awards.
9) The top acts that would entertain guests and VIPs at the event include Salif Keita, Ladysmith Black Mambazo, Ahmed Soultan, King Sunny Ade, Shatta Wale, and Wizkid. Others are Korede Bello, Di’ja, Bez Idakula, Awilo Longomba, Flavour, Omawumi, Sammy Okposo, and Ego.
11) Yaya Toure of Cote d’Ivoire and Manchester City is hoping to win the African Player of the Year award for the fifth time.
12) In the African Player of the Year Award category, the top three players are Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang of Gabon and Borrussia Dortmund of Germany; four-time African Player of the Year, Yaya Toure of Cote d’Ivoire and Manchester City; and Andrew Ayew of Ghana and Swansea City FC.
The Glo-CAF awards are the most prestigious in Africa conferred on outstanding players, coaches, supporters and administrators by the continent’s highest football authority and bankrolled by next generation network and the continents leading indigenous telecoms operator, Globacom.
See you at the venue.