Highly controversial Jose Mourinho, who was recently sacked by English Premier League side, Chelsea FC, has no doubt proven himself to be a world class football coach having won several major trophies with different clubs across Europe.
One significant thing about the 52year old Portuguese is that he always finds himself in one controversial situation or the other, most of which earned him touchline bans and/or cash penalties.
Below are top 10 controversial moments of the self acclaimed ‘SPECIAL ONE’ .
- Barging into the referee’s room at half-time of Chelsea’s defeat to West Ham this season and earned himself a £40k fine and a one-match stadium ban
- Claimed referees are afraid to make big decisions following his side’s 3-1 defeat to Southampton, for which he was handed a suspended one-match ban and a £50k fine
- Poking Barcelona assistant manager Tito Vilanova in the eye during a fiery Spanish Super Cup tie in 2011 and later claimed he didn’t know who Vilanova was
- Was fined £75k in 2005 for meeting Arsenal left-back Ashley Cole without the club’s consent
- Wrongly accused Barcelona manager Frank Rijkaard of entering the referee’s room during half-time in a Champions League defeat and was fined £8,900 and given a two-game touchline ban
- Was allegedly smuggled into the Chelsea dressing room in a laundry basket while serving a touchline ban during a Champions League tie with Bayern Munich
7. Celebrated Steven Gerrard’s last-minute own goal in the 2005 Carling Cup final by racing down the touchline in front of the Liverpool supporters with his finger placed to his lips in a ‘shush’ motion
8. Referred to himself as the ‘Special One’ in his first Chelsea press conference, thus writing his own headlines to this very day
9. Sprinted down the Old Trafford touchline in 2004 to celebrate his Porto side equalising and knocking Manchester United out of the Champions League
10. Publicly humiliated team doctor Eva Carneiro and physio Jon Fearn and branded them naive for running on to treat an injured Eden Hazard, an incident which ultimately left Carneiro’s position untenable