There is no denying that late Afrobeat legend Fela Anikulapo-Kuti is one of Africa’s greatest musicians, and the yearly celebration of his music, life and times – Felabration – has become an event that we all look forward to.
As activities around this year’s event kick off, here’s everything you need to know:
- Felabration 2015 will feature a line up of Nigeria’s biggest names in music – Wizkid, Iyanya, Praiz, Timaya, Olamide, Lil Kesh, MI, Femi Kuti himself.
- Felabration 2015 will also feature theatre and comedy performances.
- Over 150 artistes will be performing over the course of the week-long celebration
- Jamaican Raggae band, Third World, as well as UK-based London Afrobeat Collective will also be performing.
- 7UP, which has been involved with the Legend since its sponsorship of Lekki Sun Splash concerts in the early 90’s is also supporting this year’s event.
- Sandra Izsadore, one of Fela’s closest friends, mentor and biggest influence, is also in Nigeria for this year’s
- 75 years old Leni Sinclair, the American photographer who shot the iconic photo of Fela in Detroit, is also in town.
- We simply can’t tell all, however, a visit to The New Afrika Shrine between now and October 18th, will reveal that the 7th edition of Felabration stands out from the rest, and the diff is clear… like 7Up.