10 Ways President Jonathan Has Positively Transformed Transport In Nigeria
After years of neglect and cancelled projects by previous administrations, President Goodluck Jonathan has truly transformed transport in Nigeria, making it safer, more reliable, and more convenient.
Here are the top 10 ways President Jonathan has improved transport across the country:
1. Through extensive rehabilitation, he has increased the percentage of Federal roads that are safe and motorable from 21% to 83%.
2. He is fixing Nigeria’s roads faster than any government has ever done before! 2,000 km of Federal roads were either built or rehabilitated in 2013 alone. That’s a record for a single year.
3. He is reconstructing and expanding key commercial arteries like the Benin-Ore-Shagamu, Lagos-Ibadan, Enugu-Port Harcourt, Kano-Maiduguri, and Abuja-Abaji-Lokoja Highways.
4. Under President Jonathan, approximately 90 Road Support Service locations have been established to provide first response to road accidents and robbery.
5. He has renovated 22 Federal Airports.
6. Under President Jonathan, Nigeria has achieved and maintained US Federal Aviation Administration Category-1 Certification – the highest standard for Air Safety.
7. Under President Jonathan, 6 Airports strategically located close to Nigeria’s food baskets have been established as Cargo Airports for air shipment of perishable goods.
8. He has rehabilitated and revived the Lagos-Kano Rail Service – enabling cheaper movement of people and heavy freight between Lagos and Kano.
9. He has built the Kaduna-Abuja rail line from start to finish. It is the first phase of a 25-year railway development plan that has been ranked among the top 100 infrastructure projects in the world.
10. The establishment of several inland ports and the dredging of key inland waterways has seen waterways passenger traffic grow by 400% and inland waterways cargo volume grow by 100%.