NewsNews

Fire Guts Alaba International Market Ojo

An early morning fire which started at about 2am yesterday gutted parts of Alaba International Market, Ojo, Lagos, destroying goods worth millions of naira including five phone accessories shops.

Traders said the fire was caused by an electrical surge.

A trader in the market, said the owner of the shop where the fire emanated from did not switch off the electrical appliances in his shop over the weekend.

“From what we have been able to gather so far, the owner of the shop where the fire started from must have left the electrical appliances on when closing on Saturday.”

Confirming the incident, the Director, Lagos State Fire Service, Razak Fadipe, said “We received a call at 2.55am. Our men from Ojo and Ikotun fire stations got to the scene seven minutes later. They were able to prevent the fire from spreading to other shops. The affected shops were severely damaged.”

Leave a Comment