10 PRINCIPLES FOR BECOMING A SUCCESSFUL PERSON/ LEADER
I was in Lagos on 27th October, 2013 and all thanks to God and Comedian Wazobia FM OAP, YAW who helped me to attend the Lagos Empowerment and Resource Network “Time out with the youth” organised by First Lady of Lagos State, Dame Abimbola Fashola (L.E.A.R.N) and it had a great mentor, preacher and orator as the guest speaker, in person of Dr. Myles Munroe. I learnt alot that day because it changed me and I also decided to publish this online for people who weren’t present there. After you read this, take it to action and when I see you again, you won’t be the same person.
NOTE: Every human Being was created to be a leader but not over people.
Let me tell you a story about Myles Munroe, When he was age 16, he started speaking on Leadership and at age 17, the prime minister of his state called his mother’s phone and said “I’d Like to meet your son, Myles went ahead to see him. The prime minister said to him “Do you know you have more influence in my country than I do? Myles was shocked and embarrassed and he replied “ Mr Prime Minister, you are the president of this country, how can a 17years old boy be more powerful than you? And he said “Son you can bring together 5000people in a place without them smoking cigarette, take alcohol and they all gather to listen to you, I can never bring together5000 teenagers in my country, they will never listen to me, and they are the future of my country and you young man control the future of my country. Can you tell me your secret? Myles replied “ Sir I don’t know, I just gather them to tell them what happened in my life, I was in a family of 13, A father, A mother, and 11 children. I remember when I was sleeping on the floor with mosquito bitting me and roaches everywhere and my teacher in school told me “Am ignorant, I can not learn anything, Am retarded and am black, am not real human and he is just wasting his time teaching me, I went to my mum and told her what the teacher told me and my mum said Son never say that again and she gave me a book and in that book I learnt who I am and ten principles I needed to possess and that is what made me. My teacher told me Blacks are monkeys and not human, and he said am a monkey.. After reading the book I went from F to A’s and was the best student in high school, I got an award and I gave it to the teacher who called me a Monkey, and i told him am a smart monkey, he was embarrassed and he said How did you do it?
NOTE: Don’t let anyone tell you who you are.
Every Human wants to succeed! No one decides to fail, we all want to achieve.
Do you know that your success is good For God? God needs you to succeed. Every manufacturer who makes a product wants the product to succeed. God design seed to be successful to bring forth tree. Seed into the soil and with water and sunlight help the seed to succeed.
You need some principles to succeed!
WHAT ARE THE TEN PRINCIPLES?
1) PURPOSE: Purpose is the original reason for the creation of a thing. E.g A bird was created by God to fly. If it doesn’t fly then it hasn’t fulfil its purpose. You were born to do something very special, if you don’t find your gift and don’t discover what you are born to do, then you have failed. You must discover your purpose. The reason behind your creation. Success is measured by what you are born to do. Your purpose is the ideas that keeps coming to your mind. Your purpose is what you complain alot and needs to be changed in your country. The same way a bird is trapped in flight, Your purpose is trapped in you. DISCOVER YOUR PURPOSE.
2) PASSION: Passion is the desire stronger than opposition, disappointment and death. A person with passion doesn’t need external motivation, A person with passion is someone who is willing to lose friends, sacrifice thier pleasures, doesn’t need alarm clock to wake, A person with passion doesn’t get bored because life itself is really for living. Passion is when you discover your purpose for living.
3) PLANNING: Planning is writing your dream in a piece of paper. If you don’t document your dream you don’t want to achieve. Someone asked “How do you know if your dream is the right dream?” Here’s the answer, if your dream only benefits you then its not from God, True vision and true dreams always benefits others around you. A young boy was asked “ What’s your dream” He replied “I have a dream to own a 10room apartment next to the beach, Travel all around the world, eat whatever I want to eat.. That is not a vision, its a personal ambition. Get a dream in your heart to help other people. Don’t follow personal ambition. You must put your purpose and passion on Paper.
4) PRINCIPLES: You must live by principles if you are going to be successful. What are the principles? LAWS! You must live by principle to protect your purpose. For example, Myles Munroe lived in a neighbourhood where people smoke cigarette, marijuana and take all sort of alcohols, he never snuffed a marijuana leaf, or drink alcohol or smoke cigarette. When they offer him these things, he remembered he wrote his dreams on paper. He knows when he smoke its gonna hurt his liver, and he is gonna lose his dream. A young girl wants to have sex with him, it sounds good, but he remember he wrote his dreams on paper and when he sleep with her and she gets pregnant, He would be forced to marry her. So he told her, i can’t sleep with you, my dream is more important than Sex. Principles are what you painfully decides and you are not violating.
5) PEOPLE: If you want to be successful, you must choose the right people to be in your life. Some of you have friends before reading this, if you read well, you will change your friend after reading this. Who is a friend? A friend is anyone who can help you fulfil your dreams, who can take you to your destiny, who can help you achieve your vision. If you have a friend who can’t help you to achieve your vision, or can’t take you to your destiny or can’t help you to fulfil your dream is NOT a friend. If your friend tells you, let’s go drink alcohols, he is not a friend, they only want to cancel your dream, You must tell your friends, I read this article and I made some changes and one of the changes I made was YOU. Check your friends out. If you are the smartest amongst your friend, you have to change the group, you need to be among people that can make you grow, ask you question and help you think bigger. You can outgrow your friend. People who are doing nothing wants you to do it them. People who are going nowhere wants you to go with them. I want you to tell them GOODBYE. Your future is determined by the friends you keep. You cannot choose your brothers and sisters but you can choose your friends. Friends are more important than brothers and sisters. King Solomon said brothers and sister are for adversity but friends would love you at all times. Don’t be with people who don’t believe your vision. You can be the next president of this country but someone would want you to smoke, drink alcohol have sex and destroy your dream. Protect your dream from people who would destroy it. People can either help you or hurt you. There are 4 types of people
– Multipliers: Those who multiply to your dream
– Substract: Those who distract you and substract from your dream.
-Divide: Those who divide from you and confuse you.
-Add: Those who add to your dream
I am here to multiply to your dreams… Am a good friend!
A book can be the best friend in your life. Books are good people. Lock the door, turn off the T.V and speak to a friend through the pages of a book. Stop wasting time and read books. They can keep friend with you. The Eagle is the most successful bird in the world. Eagles fly alone, they dont fly with any other birds. If you are going to be a successful young man, stay away from the crowd, scare away from the gang.
6) PERSISTENCE: You insist on getting what you dream, you lost everything, people left you, people disappointed you but never lost your dream. Persistence is when you decide no matter what happens am coming back.
7) PATIENCE: No one is successful in a day/year. Patience is postponing the fulfilment of pleasures. Patience is not complaining, patience is working while you are waiting, Patience is preparing yourself for which you are preparing to recieve. My friend asked me (Myles Munroe) what you going to do after high school, i said i want to go to college,He said he wants to go and work in the gas station and in 4years he will have more money. I knew i didn’t have money but i was patience, My elder sister saw my dream on paper and gave me all the money that she saved for her house and I used the money to go to school, I knew I needed a scholarship and I studied to get a 4.0. your problem is not money, start somewhere. Good news: My company is one of the largest and my sister is the administrative assistant. Do you know who pays her salary? Her younger brother, Do you know who is my financial director?, Her husband. Do you know who is the director of multimedia liveshow, Her daughter. She never knew she gave that money to her boss. Be nice to someone today.
8) PERSEVERANCE: Perseverance is gettting up after you fall down. Every successful person is a result of getting back up. If you lose all your money, all your friends, Get back up. Never trust a person who hasn’t survived anything. A hard hands is what you pay to set your people free. Imagine the life of Nelson Mandela. You will never be accepted until you are being totally rejected. When you talk you learn what you know, when you listen you learn what the other man knows, when you are in the midst of great people, Don’t talk, but ask questions. Stop trying to make an easy life, do what is right all the time.
9) POSTERITY: The next generation. If you are going to be a successful man/woman, success is measured by what you do for others. Is your dream big enough for the unborn to enjoy it? Think about your dreams, can you transfer what you are doing to the next generation. Success always think of posterity.
10) PRAYER: It is the most important one. Prayer is daily consulting the one who gave you number one (PURPOSE). God is important, no one knows a product like the manufacturer. You must spend time with him more than anybody else. When you are reading, stop and talk to the manufacturer, when you are driving, talk to him and sometimes don’t talk, Just listen!
Note: Do not seek success, seek to become a person of value. Make yourself valuable by discovering your gift and your dream. Your gift would attract people to you. You were not born for yourself, you were born for us. Do you know that the cemetry is the wealthiest place on earth. Why? Because there in the cemetry are books that were never written, in the grave yard, there are music that were never heard, there are poetry that were never being read, In the cemetry we have dreams that died as night mares. In the graveyard there are schools that never opened, In the grave yard, there are great men who died as alcoholics, In the grave yard there are great women who died as prostitute and drug addicts. The grave yard is so wealthy. It is that same grave yard that made me write this, because I don’t want the grave yard to get an awesome treasure. I wrote this to tell you, Don’t take your dreams, your books, your vision, your ideas to the cemetry. I wrote this to help you die empty. I wrote this because I want you to disappoint the cemetry. I want you to die like a man that said “I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. SEE YOU AT THE TOP!!!!!
This Principles were taught by Myles Munroe at L.E.A.R.N “Time out with the youth” at LTV 27th October, 2013.
Written by Bello Timilehin (Bigtimi)