EDITOR – URGENT EMPLOYMENT
A new magazine, for working and self-employed professionals, launching in May 2011 requires the services of an experienced editor. Reporting directly to the publisher, he/she will:
- Be responsible for creating the editorial product, issue after issue.
- Ensure that the content and the way it is presented satisfies the readers, in line with the magazine’s editorial mission and style guide.
- Lead the creative efforts of the rest of the magazine’s staff, including writers, art director, photographers, and illustrators, etc
- Be responsible for such things as searching for freelancers, assigning briefs and ensuring manuscripts are submitted as and when due. He/she will also ensure manuscripts submitted are in line with the magazine’s writers’ style guide.
- Be responsible for fact checking, language strengthening, styling and trimming of articles to their optimum length.
- Manage the magazine, including its people and resources, as the de-facto managing editor.
- Be a good writer who understands standard reporting and be able to offer practical help to the magazine’s writers, freelancers, and staffers alike. Magazine journalism experience will be a huge plus.
- Be a wordsmith. He/she must know the language appropriate for the magazine and appreciate the precision of words, whether in text or titles or wherever else in the magazine.
- Have an eye for illustration and design, to help ensure that the words – the text of the content – are displayed and presented to readers in an attractive, interest-arresting way.
- Understand the audience – working and self-employed professionals, ages 21 – 47.
- Be or become skillful particularly in the areas of planning, budgeting and fiscal management.
- Have business writing background. Areas of interest include career, entrepreneurship, work, business and personal profiling, personal finance, book reviews, etc.
- Have the right attitude. He/she must understand what it takes or be willing to work and lead others in a start-up environment.
To be negotiated, depending on how well the candidate meets the above requirements.
Only QUALIFIED Candidates should send in their CV, showing in clear terms how they meet the stated requirements, to email@example.com
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.