It was not a completely good Christmas for millions of fans of George Michael globally as the death of the British pop legend was announced on that day. Report reveals that he died in his sleep in the wee hours of Christmas day at his home in Goring-on-Thames, Oxfordshire. Although no medical condition has been linked to his death, speculation has it that he might have died of a heart attack.
George Michael was born 53 years ago in London and he rose to stardom as a member of a music band called Wham, along with longtime friend, Andrew Ridgeley.
George’s songs such as “Last Christmas” and “Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go” were popular hits in the 80s and 90s, and his pop disco style of music earned him play times in London night clubs during this period.
George Michael was gay, he announced that he had been bisexual since he was 19 but kept the secret because of the religious views of his mother. He confessed he found being in love with a man more pleasing than being with a woman. He said in a 1999 interview with The Advocate, “falling in love with a man that ended his conflict over bisexuality. I never had a moral problem with being gay. I thought I had fallen in love with a woman a couple of times. Then I fell in love with a man, and realized that none of those things had been love.”
Below are some of his achievements
- Billboard Magazine ranked him among the best-selling British singers of all time and 40th most successful singer of all time.
- During his lifetime, Michael George sold more than 100 million records worldwide.
- His first album, Faith, that was released in 1987, sold more than 20 million copies worldwide.
- Michael garnered seven number one singles in the UK and eight number one hits on the Billboard Hot 100 in the US, including “Careless Whisper” and “Freedom! ’90”.
- Michael won various music awards throughout his 30-year career, including three Brit Awards—winning Best British Male twice, four MTV Video Music Awards, four Ivor Novello Awards, three American Music Awards, and two Grammy Awards from eight nominations.
- In 2004, the Radio Academy named Michael the most played artist on British radio during the period 1984–2004. The documentary A Different Story, released in 2005, covered his career and personal life.
He will always be remembered. Rest on, George Michael..