The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), has explained their reason for not arresting former president, Goodluck Jonathan yet despite the protracted $2.1 billion arms deal fraud that happened during his tenure.
EFCC Chairman, Ibrahim Magu, revealed that, the agency has not found any document linking Jonathan to the allocation of money for anything other than arms purchases.
He said further that all the people who had been arrested in connection with the scam spent it on or collected it for purposes other than the purchase of arms.
“All approvals by former president Jonathan did not mention that it was for political purposes,” Magu said while speaking with online news publishers in Lagos on Monday, January 11.
“All the memos approved by him were for the purchase of arms,” he added.
The arms deal fraud was allegedly supervised by former national security adviser, Sambo Dasuki.
Dasuki was arrested by the Department of State Services (DSS), on December 1, 2015 and the case handed over to EFCC a day after for further probe.
Since the wake of the fraud, several top Nigerian politicians, corporate bodies and personalities have been accused of getting a share from the fraudulent money.
Dasuki’s lawyer however denied the report that his client had become an informant while the former NSA said that Jonathan was aware of the transactions he had made.
The former president had earlier denied authorizing the release of the controversial funds despite Dasuki claim that he got the necessary presidential approval for the transactions.